28 March 2007

Well, the last thing I remember before I stripped and kneeled was a trainload of fools bogged down in a magnetic field.






Here are some more portraits I shot in North Carolina. Unfortunately this is something I keep coming back to, but if they were better technically I think they'd be nice shots. The first photo in this post is badly out of focus. At some point that day, I switched the camera to manual focus and proceeded to forget about it and shoot as if it were in auto. The next photo is from the same place, a boarding house that was built during the Great Depression to house families with no place to live. The last two are from the Mt. Airy Goodwill. There was some good stuff going on in there, but I couldn't get any unnoticed shots. Everyone in there was very aware of me having a camera, and most of them found it odd that I wanted to take photos in the Goodwill. I mentioned a photographer named Brian Ulrich, who is known for shooting thrift stores, to some people, but they still thought it was odd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find the "natural light" portraits you have to embrace reality and sincerity much more that that damn flash!!!!!!!!! i know i am bias, but artifical light and colors are reserved for the studio......
some nice honesty though in many of the buildings......i find the banal images to have great personaity/ sensitivity....

Anonymous said...

actually- I find great contrast between the portraits and buildings or the other ironic images posted- the framing and distance in some of the portraits feel uneasy/tenative in comparison to the organization/juxtaposition and composition of the other images...... as if the "other" images have a stronger foundation/security......