14 June 2007

I get so tired it's like i'm another man, and everything i see seems so underhanded

Fries, Virginia




Memphis, Tennessee





Lately, I've been more interested in creating relationships between a series of images than in posting images that are "good" individually, but doing that requires patience and time to edit; i like to look through a pile of photos and think about what different combinations are available. Since I don't have much time today (and I'm low on photos), I thought I'd post some shots I recently took of houses around Fries, Virginia and three more from Memphis, TN that I didn't post a few weeks ago. The contrast doesn't really work the way I'd like, but I still think it's at least somewhat interesting.

All of these shots are of buildings (and space, colors, textures, forms, light, etc.) which leads to a question more than one person has asked me--why I don't take more pictures of people. The first answer that comes to mind is that i'm alone most of the time. Apart from that, I think people are usually a distraction for me. I'm drawn to space, forms, textures, colors--and placing people in the shots draws the viewers eye away from what I'm most interested in. Also, photography is meditative for me--i like to go on long walks and make random discoveries of things I hadn't noticed before. It's about being attentive to the world around me, and when i'm around a person the focus tends to shift toward conversation or just toward the person as opposed to the surrounding environment. I would like to have more people in my photographs, but not as the center of attention; more as graphic elements or ways of creating tension with other elements in a shot.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I really like the first two Tennessee photos. Good job! Even more than those photos, I like the insight into how your mind works. You're a difficult person to read, Mark Burnette.